Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lady Liberty and Ellis Enchantment

This is now a ferry station to Ellis Island and Lady Liberty. It used to be a train station.






Water Taxis

And this is Ellis Island.

This place is so Magical. Just think of how many  of our relatives came to Ellis Island hoping for a better life.
I wish I would have done some family history because you can look up names and get so much information. Also, the LDS church is a huge sponser.
There is not much to the museum part of it but being inside it is quiet and only a few people. I can only imagining what it would have been like. Noise of so many lanquages, not so  patient children, typewritters clinging. 



This is the Original torch for Miss Lady Liberty.  They had to take it down because it never worked well enough to produce enough light,  She was meant to be a light house.

This was Auguste Bartholde's first plan.  He wanted to it resemble Greek Mythology.
I can't imagine a half naked man symbolizing freedom as much. Can you?


Here is some cool tidbits of the Statue of Liberty. Auguste hired the man who built the Effile Tower to help him stablize her. 


My only ambition has been to engrave my name at the feet of great men and in the service of grand ideas.
Auguste Bartholdi
(1834-1904)

1 comments:

Retired Dave said...

Can I be the first to comment? Love it that you shared those pics. Just like going back again. I didn't take too many stills - only a bit of video. Here is a clip of the Statue of Liberty outing. Anyone can upload videos of their trip too.
http://www.videosfromnewyork.com/view/12/lib/